The construction of Izmir Kız Lisesi started in 1919 and was put into service in 1923. It is one of the important buildings of the Republic of Türkiye.  The building covers an area of 4,428 square meters. It is designed in a neoclassical style and consists of cut stone walls. The building has a rectangular plan covered with a hipped roof.  There is an entrance with a staircase supported by four columns at the entrance of the two-storey building,


The school which was used as a Men Teacher’s School for the period starting from 1923 then moved to Kızılçullu (Şirinyer) in 1926 and was replaced by İzmir Kız Lisesi( İzmir Girls’ High School). In this way, it becomes a modern education centre that will lead the education of educated, enlightened, modern and republican young women.


In the late 1950s, a cafeteria and classrooms were added to the building. However, the upper floor was completely damaged due to a fire in the main building in 1985. The building was repaired and education started again in the 1990-1991 academic year.

In the 2000-2001 academic year, a historical decision was made and the school was given the status of Anatolian High School and switched to co-education. The fact that male students will also be admitted brings about changing the name of the high school.

Even though the name of the school was changed to 80. Yıl Lisesi in the 2003-2004 academic year, this change did not last long. The school starts the next academic year under its old name, and this name remains until today.


                                                                                                                                                                      Nisa Ü.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.